Wednesday, June 24, 2015

#LiveTweetYourPeriod Campaign

The #LiveTweetYourPeriod is new trend on social media sites like Twitter and Instagram. Basically women on their periods are tweeting about it. The trend came when a girls period art was taken off instagram for being inappropriate. We seem to normalize sexuality, but we are not accepting of women's periods (is the theory). I understand the concept behind it, including why we would want to normalize women talking about periods. Some of the posts about it are pretty funny. I do understand the campaign, however this is not a campaign that I would participate in.

Some women are very private about their periods and some women aren't. I'm not shy about mine, but I wouldn't want to publicly advertise it either. The important people in my like can hear about my time of the month. To expect other people to care about my period though, is just weird. Why would you care about my period unless it effected you. More power to the women on board with this campaign. Try to normalize it, freedom to you and all women. Maybe it will make a change and I hope it does. Personally I have never been judged for being on my period (other than being told I am crabby). I know some people do make judgements about it, especially in other countries. Keep it real and let me know your experiences.

Has anyone ever heard of this #LiveTweetYourPeriod Campaign? If so what do you think about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment